Monday, March 30, 2009

Sleeping Like a Baby...Finally!!!

I posted a while back about how awful Alexia's sleeping habits were, and wondering if it was ever gonna get better. Thank you for all of your words of wisdom and well wishing. We finally seem to be in a good pattern now. It's not perfect. I know a lot of babies Lexi's age are sleeping way longer than she is. But, we have an awesome nighttime routine and she goes to bed around 10 every night. And....drumroll please....she wakes up only once. Count it. ONCE. She usually wakes up around 5ish. But, her morning feeding time can vary anywhere from 4:30 or so, until around 6. Totally depends on her. (The two nights she slept until 7:30, I thought I had died and gone to heaven!)

Then, after I feed her, she goes back to sleep for another 2-3 hours. Wakes up happy and all is right with the world! It's so wonderful! We've been praying for SO LONG that she'll get better at night time sleep and stop waking up so much, and it's finally happened! I get a REM cycle most every night now. And I just have to remember to recognize this as a wonderful blessing! She's still not awesome at naps. Some days it's two naps, and she's super ornery by bedtime. Other days it's three tiny naps. I think we're probably in the transition point where her body would really be okay with two longer naps. But, she's so used to taking short 30-40 minute naps, that she still needs three of them... But, I think I've said this before...I'd trade good daytime naps for good nighttime sleep any day of the week! So, I'm liking how things are progressing.

Sorry no pictures in this post. I need to take some more, especially since Alexia is sporting this adorable little pop belly, and I can't get enough of her chubby cheeks. They're the only two spots on her that are chubby. So cute. I'll get some pictures on here soon.

Other Lexi stuff: Jacob has lately been spending time with Lexi on the floor at night, practicing crawling with her. She doesn't get the leg bending thing. But, she'll get it eventually. She doesn't have any teeth yet, but I'm VERY grateful to not have to worry about that yet. She's doing awesome at eating her baby food. She LOVES her fruits, and she's starting to like eating bread pieces, and cheerios. Alexia is also starting to get more vocal these days, and it's so much fun. Such a joy she is!!!

4 comments:

Amy Peterson said...

Becca I am so glad that she is sleeping better-- for your sake! We can really do this life when we get sleep RIGHT?

Britt-Marie said...

I'm so glad she's sleeping so well at night for you. That sounds about like how Eleanor was. Greg sleeps 7 to 7 but... he still wakes at least 3 times during the night. Day time naps are set (so sometimes I can sneak in a nap), but I'm dreaming (day dreaming obviously) of the night he only wakes up once. What did you do? Books, methods?

Becca Sharp said...

Well, it took us eight months to get this way. We tried letting her cry it out probably too soon, and it was a long time to get her this way. I think what finally helped is not feeding her as the last thing before bed. That way, she wouldn't associate nursing with sleep, and need nursing to go back to sleep. So, we'd feed her, then put her jammies on, then sing and pray. It helped. Also, the fact that she doesn't go to bed until 10 probably helps. And, I'm still nursing her at least 6 times a day, added to 2-3 baby food feedings. So, she has a nice, fully tummy, which helps.

Melissa Fisher said...

Sleeping habits change so much for kids. like a baby, then like a monster. I am lucky my boys sleep so well currently.. until they are sick, or have an ear infection or are teething. ARGHH!
:>)