Monday, October 13, 2008

Doctor's Appointment

Okay, I have to write a quick note about Lexi's two month appopintment. To say it was rough would be a major understatement. She screamed the entire time - even before the shots. But, I got her home okay, and she napped for a long time after we got home. I woke her up for a feeding, and she started screaming bloody murder. I didn't know what was wrong - thought I made a big mistake waking her up. Maybe she just needed to nap longer. Then, I noticed big red marks on her legs where her shots were. She wouldn't even eat well. She'd suck for a minute, then start screaming and it'd take 3-4 minutes to calm her down, until it'd start all over again. I finally realized she was in pain from the shots. And having never done the shot thing with kids before, I didn't know that I needed to massage her legs where the shots were, so the medicine would spread out and not all pool where they gave the shot. No thanks to the nurses at the pediatrician's office for not warning me - I'm a new mom, I don't know this stuff! Sheesh!

I started sobbing myself, feeling so bad I couldn't do anything to help her. I called a merciful neighbor who brought over some Tylenol, and after giving her some, I held her while Jake had to massage her sore spots. She was bawling, I was bawling. I felt so helpless! I couldn't explain to her what was happening or why she was in pain, and I couldn't make it stop fast enough!!! Finally, she fell asleep, took a short nap, and woke up feeling much better, and happier. Such a relief!!!

But while she slept, I was reminded of how I called my mom the night I was in labor with Lexi. I called her sobbing around 4 am, just needing my mommy. She sobbed through the pain with me, and ended up going through a night of agony wondering how I was doing, when they were going to give me the epidural, etc. FINALLY, now that I went through Alexia's pain with her, I understand a small bit of how my mom felt, and how all parents must feel when their children are in pain, and they can't do anything to stop it. This was just Alexia's first set of shots. I'm sure it'll be so much harder when I see her go through more of life's trials. But, it did give me a taste of how much parents can love their children and hate to see them go through pain.

Kind of reminds me Heavenly Father having to watch his son, Jesus Christ suffer through the atonement. I know that my love for Alexia is imperfect, and nothing near Heavenly Father's ability to love, but it does give me a new perspective, realizing how much Heavenly Father loves each of us and hates to see us in pain.

So, there you go. Those are my thoughts precipitated by Alexia getting her two month shots. I'm sure the 4 month shots will be even more fun...

2 comments:

Amy Peterson said...

It is so interesting "becoming" a mother. When I came home from the hospital with David, I thought "they just send you home and don't give you an owners manual!" But, it gets better. Oh and I did find my owners manual "What to expect the first year", anyway being a mom has opened my eyes to what my mother did for me- and I call and thank her weekly! You are doing a great job and she is so lucky to have a great mom like you.

Julianne said...

Boo boo boo boo. Sam's 2-month post-checkup was very, very similar. After he woke up from the checkup, he was screaming, and he screamed louder in any way that I touched him. I finally realized one of his legs was swollen and red and hot and horrible. I cried, he cried, and it was awful. I could barely hold him to let him eat, and if his leg bumped me in any way, it was another round of screams and tears.

I will say that the 4-month checkup was a breeze. I was TERRIFIED to do it again, but they used a different shot -- the 2-month shot had used "Pedia-Rx" or something like that, and our new dr. at 4 months doesn't use that one because of the high occurance of the reaction exactly like Sam's. Anyway, the 4-month shots were much easier - he cried, but then they were over and his legs didn't swell and he never seemed to think twice about them once the needles were out.

BOOO on shots and having to do things that make your baby sad/in pain. It is one of the hardest, most mentally challenging things I've ever had to do. But it sure does make you appreciate the love of a parent, esp. a mom, to a child.